Thursday 4 October 2007

The big question!


As soon as we arrived at the cottage Zac showed me around and we jumped into the lake for a very cold swim. We went inside for a hot shower and as I came out of the shower, dripping wet in my towel, Zac asked me to come over to him. He looked very nervous as he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was shocked but so delighted. Of course I said "YES!"

Zac then presented me with the ring which came with its own wonderful story. The ring was Zac's mum and dad's engagement ring (Betsy and David's). Zac's dad was also a Peace Corps volunteer in Columbia a good few years ago. He bought the emerald over there at the end of his service but at the time the stone was twice as big. David gave the stone to Betsy when he asked her to marry him. They took it to the jewellers in Miami and made a ring. About ten years later the emerald fell out of the setting but was luckily found in the hoover bag. Unfortunately the emerald had suffered a severe scraping. They took the stone to another jeweller in New York city where the stone was refacited, polished and reduced. It was then that David had the two diamonds added.

Zac slid the ring on to my finger and it fit perfectly.

It was a wonderful first day at Henderson Harbour. The first of many!

1 comment:

Leanne Hurren said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Hope to meet Zac soon (are you home for Christmas?) The ring looks gorgeous.