Saturday 10 November 2007

Back to Silver Spring, at last!


After Gettysburg we headed to Silver Spring, Maryland, where I used to work as a live-in nanny for a wonderful family when I was eighteen. It was so strange to finally be back after 11 years. Zac and I spent the weekend with Andrea, Michael and Julia and we had a wonderful time catching up with each other and some of the neighbouring families. Julia, who was 4 when I looked after her, is now busy applying for university and Alex, who was 7, is now in his first year at Brown University! It made me feel very old! Andrea had arranged for me to meet with some people who work in international development and they gave me some great advise and more connections for finding work. Zac and I also spent a day in DC where we visited the National Museum of Native Americans and the World War II memorial. The War memorial was particularly spectacular which honours the 16 million who served in the armed forces of the US, the more than 400,000 who died and all those who supported the war effort from home.

No comments: